I have already given general information about this beautiful city of Aegean in the context of Life in Izmir. Let’s take a look at the tourist attractions of Izmir, the city I live in now.
Ephesus Antique City
For more information, read the Ephesus Antique City article.
According to the legend, Alexander the Great came to Izmir, then fell to sleep under a plane tree while hunting at the Nemesis sanctuary in Kadifekale called the Pagos Hill covered with forest. The two Nemesis, whom he sees in his dream, ask Alexander to set up a brand new Izmir on the skirts of the hill , and Alexander, who wakes up from his sleep, asks the idea of Oracle Apollon of Claros’ .The Oracle says just a sentence “The people who setle here on Pagus Hill will be four times happier before.” Instead of relying on İskender’s dream of Pagus Hill in the founding of the new Izmir, instead of relying on the development of the commercial potential of the era that developed at sea and land, It is a much more scientific approach to our day to believe that it was founded here because of necessity. Finally, Lysimachos, who killed his rival General Antiganos in 302. BC, established the new Izmir on Pagos Hill. Having the greatest potential in the Anatolian trade, İzmir has been constructed as a highly developed and organized city with aqueducts, gymnasium, stadium, theater and agora.
The Agora in the Namazgah district of İzmir belongs to the Roman period. The Agora is a place where political meetings are done and people shop in antiquity. Much more than being commercial, İzmir Agora in the view of a state agora is the biggest State Agora of the world that has been revealed to date. The Agora, which was erected in the earthquake in M.S.178, was rebuilt with the careful work of Emperor Marcus Aurelius.
Izmir Bird Sanctuary has a very important privilege among others in our country because it has different living areas like divers, reeds, pastures and salt ponds that various creatures can live in. Due to the different ecosystems that we have, 220 of the 450 bird species observed in our country are in İzmir Bird Sanctuary. Of these bird species, 59 are hatching here; The fact that 39 species of birds that are hatching are protected species are increasing the importance of İzmir Bird’s Nest. Especially among these species are Crested Pelicans, Small Cormorants and Small Kercenez species that are descended from the Earth. An average of 50,000 birds cross the region every year. It is known that 63 species are native to Turkey, 54 are summer immigrants, 43 are winter migrants and 30 are transits. Bird’s Paradise, a natural and archaeological site, has a visitor center, birds cruises, stationary binoculars and sightseeing bikes.
Bozdağ Gölcük Plateau of Ödemiş District, Subatan Plateau in the same region, Karagöl on the Yamanlar Mountain in the north of Karşıyaka District, Kozak Plateau on the Madra Dağı in the north from the mountains surrounding Bergama county are suitable for daily recreation and plateau tourism.
The coast is 629 km long in Izmir . It is 101 km nature beach (sand). Due to the geography of the peninsula and the coasts of Izmir, the water is also available for water sports. Selçuk-Pamucak, Urla and Gülbahçe, Çeşme-Ilıca and Altınkum, Gümüldür and Özdere beaches in the north and Dikili and Çandarlı,Old Foça-New Foça beaches stand out in terms of their beach features. Access to the beach is extremely easy and affordable. There is possibility to supply vehicles at every hour of the day from almost every district of Izmir central garage and Üçkuyular garage.
Those who come to İzmir is impressedwith the views of the the city of Balçova. Facilities that offer a wide range of opportunities for sports and nature lovers will experience exciting moments with sports paragliding and special climbing lanes. These facilities include “Self Catering”, “Breakfast House”, “Snack Bar”, Fast Food facilities, tea gardens, markets selling souvenirs and souvenir shops.
Youth Center in Inciralti
This is a very large area with a cinema halls, eating and drinking facilities, sports fields, walking areas, picnic area, artificial lake area where you can go for a boat ride.
Karagöl, which is mentioned in the legend of Tantalos, is located on the Yamanlar mountain. This lake at a height of 810 meters, which has a water surface of 35 decare, is the result of tectonic ground movements. The small, circular and beautiful view of the lake is covered with pine forests. It is used as a recreation and retreat place in the summer months. It is an ideal place for nature lovers and hikers. There is a large car park for 500 cars, utility water, buffets and picnic areas. The distance to Izmir is 40 km. It can only be reached by private vehicle.
Is a beautiful bay of 80 hectares on the coastline of Ahmetbeyli-Gümüldür. The Klaros ruins are very close to the district.It is 25 km from Kuşadası, 70 km from Izmir. It is a paradise corner in the distance, green and blue embraced.
Arts and Culture of Izmir
İzmir has made a reputation as a cosmopolitan and cultural city. İzmir Cultural Center is often host to opera, ballet and music concerts. Izmir International Fair, which is opened every year in August, is an entertainment and industry exhibition. The theater, one of the most beautiful structures of the ruins of Ephesus, has remained quite intact and is now easily used in festivals like the Ephesus Festival with its restoration.
Festivals in Izmir
• SELÇUK EPHESUS CAMEL WRESTLES FESTIVAL Selcuk – January 21
• PINARBASI TRADITIONAL WRENCHES Bornova – February 1-2. Week
• CAMEL WRESTLING FESTIVAL Kınık – March 11
• INTERNATIONAL POETRY DAYS Konak – March 18-21
• THEATER FESTIVAL Buca – March 1-4. Week
• INTERNATIONAL CHILDREN’S FESTIVAL Karsiyaka – April 18 – 25
• FLOWER FESTIVAL Bayındır – April 28-30
• STRAWBERRY FESTIVAL Menemen – May 1-2. Week
• SEYREK SPRING FESTIVAL Menemen – May 20
• ALSANCAK FESTIVAL Konak – May 22-24
• YOUTH FESTIVAL Buca – May 1-4. Week
• CHERRY FESTIVAL Kemalpaşa – May 1-4. Week
• MEHMET ULUSOY STREET THEATER FESTIVAL Konak – 01-15 June
• EDUCATION SCIENCE AND CULTURE FESTIVAL Kinik – 01-15 June
• FISHING FESTIVAL Karaburun- 02-03 June
• SCIENCE CULTURE FESTIVAL Tire – June 5
• EXCELLENT ENVIRONMENT AND FLOWER FESTIVAL June 5
• ÖZDERE INTERNATIONAL CULTURE ART AND TOURISM FESTIVAL Menderes – July 23
• ÇANDARLI CASTLE CULTURE AND ART FESTIVAL Dikili – July 19-21
• WIND SORF-OPTIMİST INCENTIVE TOURISM WEEKS COMPETITIONS Güzelbahçe – July 1-4. Week
• KARABURUN FESTIVAL Karaburun – August 3-5
• INTERNATIONAL FOÇA FESTIVAL Foça – Week 1 of August
• YENİŞAKRAN OLIVE SEA FESTIVAL Aliağa – August 1-4. Week
• FISHING FESTIVAL Guzelbahçe – September 1
• KARŞIYAKA FESTIVAL 1-9 September
• BEYDAG GRADUATION FESTIVAL Beydag – September 7
• FISHING FESTIVAL Foça – September 9-11
• DOCUMENTARY FILM FESTIVAL Buca – November 1-4. Week
• GOLDEN CHERRY CULTURE AND ART FESTIVAL Kemalpaşa – June 1-4. Week
• ÖZDERE BLUE MANDALINE FESTIVAL Menderes – July 23